Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Flying Pig and Swine

So the big day (pig day?) is 4 days away and I sit here half hoping for a catastrophe to at least postpone the race. I'd settle for the CDC grounding all planes over the recent swine flu epidemic, but it doesn't look like I'll get my wish.

It's not that I'm not ready. In spite of my injuries, I'm ready. And truthfully if the race were postponed, I wouldn't be anymore ready. It's just that at this point, I know that I won't beat 4 hours, not even by a couple of seconds. But I still won't be able to relax and enjoy the race. Because it's a marathon, not a half, not a 5K, 10K, etc, it's the big one (yeah, there's bigger, but you won't catch me at them!). It took 4 months to train for this and it takes time to recover afterwards. So there's no picking another one the next weekend and trying it again. This is it. Sunday is it.

So I'll start the day exhausted and with butterflies. Probably have to choke down my breakfast bars because nothing sits well with butterflies and stress walk to the starting line. Push my way as close as I can to the front of my corral and get annoyed at all the people pushing around me. Impatiently wait through the National Anthem and then through all the other corrals starting and finally start the race. Then the butterflies become a pit in my stomach and it takes real effort not to hyperventilate. And no matter how much slower than my goal I get with each passing marker, I won't relax and just enjoy it.

But Sunday is it. And I'm really looking forward to Monday.

No comments: