Wednesday, May 6, 2009

At Least I'm Not Laying on the Side of the Road Thinking I'm in Memphis!

Cincinnati is a very hilly town. The elevation map on the race website is less than accurate. I certainly broke a record for how many hills I've run in a long run. It was a brutal course. But it was also very beautiful. It was very green and very interesting. The houses were unique and the crowd support was great. They weren't lined up like in Chicago and other large cities, but where there were people, they were very enthusiastic. There were bands randomly along the course. Other people played stereos to encourage you. I saw one group grilling out even though it was only 8am.

Of the signs I saw along the course, the funniest ones were 'Run Skinny Bitch' and 'These Nuts Got Guts.'

I saw a couple of houses that were about 3 or 4 stories high that were burned out. I found out later that the race last year was postponed 20 minutes due to a fire on the course. I also saw a house whose front porch was being braced by 2x4s! This may not have been in the best area of town.

The rain really wasn't an issue during the race. Luckily it stayed overcast the whole race which helped keep the heat away. It was about 56 when we woke up and it was probably that temperature for most of the race. The last 6 miles I ran in just my bra top as it was pretty warm at that point.

The first 5 miles I maintained a 9 minute pace. It was tough, but I was able to keep a good pace. Then I got a side stitch. I was able to work it out and get running again pretty quickly, but that was when I started slowing down. By mile 11, I switched my watch to time instead of chrono. I didn't even want to know and was fairly disappointed to get to the half at a time of 2:07. It was a struggle threw most of the race but particularly the last 8 miles. Even though miles 21-25 contained a lot of downhill, it was still a tough stretch. It was also the warmest part!

Just before mile 23, an ambulance passed me on the right. I saw up ahead a guy laying on the left side of the road with a bag of ice under his head and people holding his legs up. He looked like a pretty strong and fit guy, in his late 20s or early 30s. As I got closer I heard the ambulance driver ask the guy if he knew where he was 'Yes sir' the guy replied. The ambulance driver asked 'Where are you?' and the guy replied 'Uhhhh, (mumble)" I couldn't quite make out what he said, but I swear it sounded like 'Memphis.' A few steps later I saw mile marker 23 and saw that I was only 4 minutes short of my overall goal of 4 hours, but I thought 'at least I'm not laying on the side of the road, thinking I'm in Memphis!' And that became my mantra through the next 3 miles. If I had to walk, if I wanted to give up, if I whined about my time, at least I was still running!

At mile 25, I realized I was going to finish close to the same time that I ran Chicago in October. Which means that I ran a really hilly course in the same time I ran a really flat course (in extreme heat). So I really think that shows some improvement and strength. When I got home I saw that I was actually about 15 seconds faster in Cincinnati. It's something anyway!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's your marathon PR? You cracked 4 hours yet? Give Richmond a try (inexpensive and fairly soft course).

Audra said...

Sorry, just saw this. My marathon PR is 4:21, my norm seems to be 4:34 as I've run 3 of my 6 marathons at that time. I don't know if I'll run another marathon. This one took a lot out of me and I'm not sure I want to train again. I'm thinking of doing more trails (though short distances) when I start back for a softer run.