Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting Organized

Its tough to get anything done when you're training for a marathon. Now that I'm finished with the Chicago Marathon its time to get to all those projects I've let fall to the wayside. And did they pile up! I got an estimate today to fix a leak in a wall (been there for 5 years now so it wasn't completely the marathon training's fault that I've procrastinated). So next week my bedroom and walk-in closet will be in complete disarray and I'll be living in my 'living' room. Of course now I want to paint the whole place, fix up the kitchen, update the bathrooms...this could get ugly. But it will be nice to get my place in order and live like a big girl for a change.

In addition to fixing up my home space, I have upcoming races and some training to do. Not a marathon, but I still have some lofty goals. The next race I'll be doing is the Charlotte Turkey Trot. I've done this race 3 of the last 5 years and its a tough race. Very hilly. My goal is to average a 9 min/mile pace. Last year, I was doing ok until close to the end when my hangover got to me. This year I do plan to go to happy hour with my friends the night before, but will remain sober. That's the plan anyway...

My next race will be the Savannah Bridge Run 10K in beautiful Savannah, Ga. The South's Toughest Bridge Run. This will be my fourth time running this race. I set my 10K PR there in 2005 and then beat it in 2007 running a 52:59 an 8:32 pace. My goal this year is to place in the costume contest. The competition is stiff. Past winners have included people who ran tandem in a 'bridge costume' and two cute little girls who ran as reindeer pulling a stuffed santa in a wagon decorated to look like a sleigh. So creativity is key here. My original plan to run as a Christmas Goose was shelved when I went to Party City and couldn't find any feathers or beaks. Not sure how their buyers missed this essential Christmas prop, but it creates a problem for me. There is a Peppermint Peasant outfit that might work, but it's hardly original. I'll have to keeping thinking about this one.

This weekend I'm doing the course preview for the Thunder Road Half Marathon. Not sure I'm going to shell out the $45 entry fee to run a race in my own town, but it is enticing as it doesn't require travel. Last year I set my Charlotte PR on the course and ran a 1:57 and some change. It's tempting to try and beat that this year. But I won't have Tim motivating me this year and that was key last year.

Tonight I'm running with a group through Commonwealth area. It's a tough 4 mile course, but it's excellent training. I pushed it somewhat on a 6 miler last night so I'll be taking it easy tonight. I'm off from work tomorrow so I'll be hanging out longer than normal. And maybe I'll do the midnight 4miler with some of the other runners. l8r

No comments: